Andrew Cotton

Tuesday 10 July 2012

Jonesys thoughts on organised fun

There’s two types of people in this world, people who like "organised fun" and people who don't. The first group would love nothing more than slipping on a comedy wig and a tee shirt with a highly amusing nickname on the back and someone's ugly gurning face on the front, (that they will only ever wear once before it sits festering at the bottom of their wardrobe) and going paint balling, or to Ibiza or Newquay and acting like a pride of twat lions. "oh look at us and how much fecking fun we're having". Now don't get me wrong, that's fine, that's what they like to do, good for them, but it isn't for me thank you very much. I like having fun, I'm a pretty funny type of guy, I just don’t like being told exactly when and how to enjoy myself, and what I have to wear to ensure that I am having the most extreme fun possible. I've been watching a bit of Wimbledon, I like tennis and it's nice to be able to watch some sport without having a dirty big dish stuck on the side of my house and paying for the privilege, and seeing Andy Murray play has I must admit, been a bit inspirational. I haven't gone all mental and stuck a flag outside the house, or developed a Scottish accent but it has been good to watch. Even better has been seeing him in interviews after matches, answering pointless questions that increasingly seem to have one aim, to try and make the guy smile. He is getting slagged off left right and centre for not smiling much or showing any emotion - so what? He is a professional sportsman at the height of his career who trains every hour god sends, probably on his serve or backhand approach play rather than telling jokes or acting the clown. If I want to see some gormless grinning idiot on telly I put on cbeebies, there's fecking hundreds on there, but I don't see Mr Tumble playing in the men's finals anytime soon (probably a good thing, I wouldn't personally trust him around the ball boys). I much prefer seeing a focused sports pro getting on with his job and winning through his ability, and ignoring all the criticism he's getting for not constantly grinning like someone who's just taught their dog to shit money. I'm sure he's having the time of his life, and if he doesn't show it, so what. Those who criticise him for not gurning like a Glastonbury dropout after every point are probably the same people whooping and hollering because "Spunky" has just spilt his 10th jäger bomb of the afternoon down his "Keith's last stand" tee shirt in billy budds beer garden (Spunky always has been a lightweight twit). Anyway, point is, I don't like organised fun or being told when I'm supposed to be having a good time. Neither does my mate Cotton.

No comments:

Post a Comment